Suggestions from students to improve the user experience on the Academy site
I have received suggestions from students to improve the user experience on the site. Perhaps you will find these suggestions worth implementing in the next theme upgrade.
They touch the following:
1. Course completion status is uninformative, and there is no completion status for each lesson.
2. Mark Complete tab should be at the bottom and save me time scrolling up to specifically press that button.
3. When I press mark complete a tick should appear next to that page or module. Just a cosmetic change but helpful.
4. And if all the lessons from a module have been completed then automatically mark complete module.
5. The appendix block to the lesson should preferably be named somehow, as the icons sometimes mislead users. It is not evident that these are additional files to the lesson. People may think that the whole task can either be audio or video.
6. The header in the mobile version takes up a third of the screen, which reduces the space for the value proposition. There are a lot of elements in the navigation that would be better hidden in the Burger menu.
7. The block in the mobile version hangs in space and looks like it leads to another page.
8. Lesson navigation should be callable when needed. When directly consuming the lesson’s content, this block does not create any value and detracts more.
9. Lessons can be organised into blocks in which you can mark a completion, so it’s convenient to navigate through the parts of the lesson
– Lesson progress status is visible
– Lesson format is visible: article, video, additional material
As I understand, we can arrange this suggestion in the current version. Still, then the number of lessons for some courses would be huge. Is it possible to make separate blocks in each lesson, in which you can make a mark of completion?
I would be happy if these changes would not require a lot of work. In general, I have repeatedly received comments that the site design is not up-to-date. By clarifying, I found out that they meant making huge blocks of large text, as some sites now do. I don’t think it needs to be improved, but just for information.
Thank you. I would say that the blocks within the lesson with progress marks are the most needed functionality. It’s crucial that they are reliable and don’t depend on WordPress updates.
If the courses are quite voluminous, authors can solve this task by creating many lessons, which is hardly convenient. And such labelled units are suitable for both authors and students.
If it’s possible, tell me what the approximate timeframe for updating the theme is. How much can it affect the content, will the created descriptions need to be redesigned?
Would you be interested in a design that perhaps one of my students would do for me?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.